Saturday, July 12, 2014

Marché aux Puces at Porte de Vanves

Sande likes to go to the flea market on Saturdays at Porte de Vanves.  You might say it is a tradition.  You never know what you might find.  I have a couple of Orangina glasses from the 1980s from there.  Kate loves looking at the rings.  Sande usually comes home with an old camera or some sort of musical instrument (Mike just hopes it isn't another accordion).  Sande, Kayla, Kate and I left for the market and Kelly, Mike, Quin, Kate and Spencer went out for a morning run.  We were so happy there was no rain in the forecast for today!
Kate found a musical instrument for Sande-a harmonica in a great red case.  I think Mike and Spencer were relieved to hear they wouldn't be hauling a heavy instrument home.
Sande and Kayla browsing at the flea market
Kate was on the hunt for rings.  Looking for rings is hard work.  She found one she loved, but a stone was missing.  Many were too big.  Then once you find one, you have to bargain a bit on the price.  Kate was successful, though.
Kate looking at an old map of Paris
Notice the woman watching her try on rings













Now the man is watching Kate
On the way out of the market, I noticed an old school desk and took a picture.  When I got home and downloaded the pictures on my computer, I started laughing.  I hadn't even noticed the painting behind the school desk.  Nobody believed me!
Kate and I left Sande and Kayla at the flea market and came home to meet the others to go to the food market behind Ecole Militaire.  We needed more fresh pasta for dinner tomorrow and fruit and veggies.  Kelly asked to stay home to clean the apartment.  We readily agreed.
I tried to get Mike to buy another sport coat at the market (he found a great one there two years ago) but no luck this time.  Quin loves the fresh eggs we buy at the market and we got another 15.  Eggs seems to come in cartons of 6, 15 or 30 here.  We love the big brown eggs.
I didn't realize Kate has never been to this market.  I shopped there for our food so many times during our last study abroad in Paris in 2012.  She was surprised how much she liked it.
I did not take my camera so I was at the mercy of Kate to take pictures with her iPhone.  This is all I was allowed.
Kate as we left the market--looking towards the Eiffel Tower
Quin and Kate found some great things to take home to their kids at the market.  Quin generously agreed to pull the cart home.  Aren't they cute together?
Quin and Kate
Those who didn't have tired feet tried to go to the Catacombs after lunch.  But the line was two hours long and there was only one hour until the last entry.  So they went to the Luxembourg Gardens and then tried to visit Sainte Chapelle.  Although the last entry there is at 5:30, they closed down the line before 5:00.  The French are a bit capricious with their rules and closing times.  But gelato from Amorino saved the day.
Saturday evening we decided to get Grec sandwiches for dinner.  They stuff the French fries right inside the pita with everything else.  Of course we have lots of Orangina and Coca Light (Diet Coke) to wash them down.
Kate and her Grec
Quin and Kate went to a Jazz Club this evening near Chatelet.  We can't wait to hear about that adventure.  More rain is predicted for tomorrow but that should be the end of it for the next week.  Bastille Day should be partly cloudy and 72 degrees--perfect!

2 comments:

  1. I want to be there so much, it hurts! Looks like you are enjoying every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss those grecs like crazy! Still haven't found a better one after 5 years!

    ReplyDelete