Friday, July 25, 2014

Disneyland Paris

We aren't quite sure how we decided to take a little day trip to Disneyland Paris.  We were trying to make Kate happy and the only time I had taken the kids to Disneyland was 9 years ago when we were in Paris with our first Study Abroad group and we went with the Kriegers, Denise and Alexis.  It was only one more day until Carter arrived and Kate needed a diversion.
We took the RER train out to Marne-la-Vallée east of Paris and arrived just after the park opened.  We went to Discoveryland first and found there was no wait for Space Mountain.  I remember last time how we talked Andrew into going on this roller coaster ride and how scary he said it was.  But I bravely told Kate that I could do it--no big deal--after assuring her I would not throw up.  It turned out to be a big deal.  We were blasted out into space.  There were at least two corkscrews and we were being bounced all over the place.  It was dark and I just decided to keep my eyes closed most of the time.  I could barely keep my glasses on.  When it thankfully ended, I couldn't really walk straight.  But I had my legs back after a few minutes and Kate snapped a picture of the photos they try to sell you after the ride so I have proof I went on Space Mountain.

Kelly, Kate and Jeanene on Space Mountain ride
I'm sure that will also be the last time I go on Space Mountain.  We went for something a little tamer after that--the Teacups.
Selfie on the Teacups
Jeanene and Kelly on the Teacups
Kate and Jeanene
Even on the teacups, I wasn't for much spinning.  We also rode the Indiana Jones Temple of Peril roller coaster--only one upside down loop.
Kate and Kelly Pirate Ship
The Pirates of the Caribbean was more my style.  We ate a nice leisurely lunch and went on a few more rides.
Kate after Lunch
Kate and Jeanene at the Castle
Kelly and Kate
It was interesting hearing so many different languages being spoken around us.  Sometimes it was hard to tell what they were. 
The flowers and grounds were beautiful.  But it was hot and soon we were wilting.  I made Kelly and Kate go on the It's a Small World ride with me.  They were good sports.  Kate really wanted to go on the Thunder Mountain roller coaster.  That was one ride she was tall enough for 9 years ago.  But as we came out of the Haunted House, it had broken down.  At the end of the day we checked one more time and it had reopened.  We waited 40 minutes to get on the ride--the longest wait of the day.  It was a roller coaster that was more my speed and was everything Kate had remembered.
We caught the RER train back to Paris about 4:30.  We were hot and exhausted and felt we had given Disneyland our best shot.
Kelly on the RER
 

No comments:

Post a Comment