Friday, January 5, 2018

Musée du Louvre

It was a rainy day yesterday so I decided to go to the Grand Palais to see the Gauguin exhibit. I didn't purchase a timed ticket ahead of time and when I arrived, the wait was over one hour.  The guard said if I came back at 6 or 7 pm, there would be only a five minute wait. So I decided I'd spend my time instead at the Louvre.  Problem was, the rest of Paris thought a rainy day was a good day to go to the Louvre.
Crowds at the Louvre
Fortunately, I had bought an Amis du Louvre pass that lets me jump ahead in the security line to get inside.
Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel
I love the views from inside the Louvre looking outside.








What would it have been like to live in this palace?

La Grande Roue at Place de la Concorde
Sculptures in the Cour Marly
Kelly and I went to a late lunch after I returned from the Louvre.  We decided we needed to start trying out the cafés in our neighborhood so we know where to take the visitors who will be coming.  We chose Paris Saint-Germain down the street near our favorite boulangerie because I had seen a waiter earlier this week carrying frites that looked so good.  Our mushroom omlettes and frites were very good and the waiter was friendly.  We would definitely go back again.
Paris Saint-Germain
Kelly and his omlette and frites
I made it back to the Gauguin exhibit at the Grand Palais later that evening. 
 
I learned that he was interested in many types of media from woodblock and other types of prints to ceramics.  He had unusual techniques and did lots of experimenting.  I loved the jardinière (flower box) he created.  He would later add paint to the finished surface.
Gauguin in Bretagne
Jardinière
Breton Woman on other side
of Jardinière
The Christmas Lights were still up along the Champs Elysée.  And the Grande Roue de Paris at Place de la Concorde was all lit up.  Magical!
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. The sites from the Louvre are amazing, a palace with such a view. And I love the ferris wheel, both in the day and lit at night! Amazing, all of it!

    ReplyDelete