Saturday, January 6, 2018

Cuissards et la rue Mouffetard

It's another Saturday in Paris.  I've been wanting to check out the market at rue Mouffetard so today I talked Kelly into going with me before his long run.  We walked up the hill behind our apartment towards rue Mouffetard past the big fire station.  The firemen were just getting back from a morning run and were outfitted in their sapeurs-pompiers leggings and "cuissards."  Drew says this type of running gear would not go over with the crew at his fire station.

Les Sapeurs-Pompiers
Back from a Run


















Further up the hill we passed Ernest Hemingway's apartment where he lived from 1922 to 1923 (France has a plaque for everything!).  His apartment was on the third floor (4th floor American).  I find I learn a lot about history and people who lived in Paris just by reading the plaques on the buildings.
Hemingway's Apartment
We discovered that rue Mouffetard is a lot like the rue Cler.  It is a narrow pedestrian street with stores spilling out on the sidewalk.  There are produce shops, a formagerie, boulangeries, etc. 
rue Mouffetard
Kelly on rue Mouffetard


















We bought some produce, including some of the sweetest clementines I've ever had.  And we were happy to find one of the things we had been looking for-fresh pasta!  It was hard to decide between the various types of ravioli, noodles and gnocchi. We chose the gnocchi and sauce tomate Napolitaine for Sunday dinner.  We'll have to remember this place when the guys are ready to carbo load for the Paris Marathon in April.
Fresh Pasta Shop
So many choices...












 
 
 
 
 
 
There were cute restaurants all over this area.  I was enjoying Kelly's company in my wanderings.  He has been working hard on his book and I am usually left to explore on my own.
La Petite Provence
on rue du Pot de Fer
While Kelly went for his 11-mile run along the Seine, I walked over to the Île Saint-Louis for a little more wandering.  The bridge to the island is just a block from our apartment.  I did a little window shopping and exploring.  There are cute shops and the island is famous for its Berthillon ice cream.  I'll wait for it to warm up a bit before I indulge.  I loved the butcher shop-chickens with feet and wing feathers were my favorite.
Fleuriste
Candy Shop
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chicken Feet
Wing Feathers
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Épicerie
Berthillon Ice Cream
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I continued over to the right bank to look at the Hôtel de Sens.  It was built as a residence for the archbishops in Sens in the 15th century.  Paris did not have its own archdiocese until 1622 and depended on the archdiocese in Sens.  The archbishop had a lot of power so he had a nice mansion to use when he visited Paris.  It was eventually owned by the Paris archdiocese in the 17th century, taken over during the French Revolution when the Catholic church lost its property, and eventually housed shops, workshops and factories.  The city of Paris acquired the building in the early 20th century and restored the mansion.  It is now a library.  The courtyard especially reminded me a lot of the Cluny Museum, which had been a monastery.  I loved the red trim.
Entrance to Hôtel de Sens
Courtyard
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Garden behind Hôtel de Sens
The Seine is really high right now with all this rain.  Kelly likes to run along the quais that have been closed to automobile traffic.  Yesterday he was on the right bank and ran inside a tunnel near the Seine no longer used for auto traffic.  Today when he went back the tunnel was closed because of flooding along with a stretch of the road.  I ventured a selfie on my way home with the Seine and Notre Dame in the background.  I need lessons from my kids on how to do these!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. The pasta, plaques, interesting shops (including the chickens with parts we rarely if ever see) all sound wonderful. I think your selfie looks great!

    ReplyDelete