Friday, January 12, 2018

Arènes de Lutèce et Marché Monge

After a bit of searching, I've finally found the best local market.  It is at the Place Monge about a 10 or 15 minute walk from the apartment.  It is there on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays.
But first, on my way to the marché, I passed one of the entrances to the Arènes de Lutèce.  This is the ancient Gallo-Roman arena that once seated 15,000 and was used for gladiator combats.  The arena was rediscovered in the 1800s and restored and opened as a public square in 1896.  You can still see two of the animal cages.  Old men are often there playing pétanque or young kids kicking around a soccer ball.




















The Animal Cages
I continued walking up the rue Monge and found the marché.  It was quite big and everything looked so good-there was such a variety.  Not pictured are the stands selling Lebanese food, chickens, eggs, various parts of pigs (including the feet!), couscous, choucroute (sauerkraut) and more.  I saw stalls selling handbags, sweaters and even slippers.  There were lots of older Parisian women with their shopping carts checking out the seafood and produce.  That's how you can tell it's a good market.  I will be returning often.


Huge Shrimp

Scallops






Look at those carrots!

Cheese Monger

Pretty Squash

Handbags

Slippers




























1 comment:

  1. I must make it to this market! And the Gallo-Roman arena, I guess you're "not in Kansas anymore" that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete