Saturday, February 4, 2012

Marché Avenue Saxe

The weather has turned bitter cold all over Europe, including Paris.  We just can't get warm.  But I wanted some of those fresh eggs from the Marché and I didn't make it to the one on Wednesday morning because I went to the Art History class with Kate and the students at the Musée de Cluny.  I heard there was another Marché nearby on Thursdays at avenue Saxe behind the École Militaire so I set out about 10 am with my roller cart when it had supposedly warmed up a bit.  Boy was I wrong.  It was frigid and the wind was blowing!  Kelly left at the same time with the students in his French Politics and American/French Revolutions classes to go around the corner to the WW II Museum at Les Invalides.

Ashlie, Sydney, McCall, Brooke, Christina and Rebecca at Les Invalides
I did find the market but it seemed there were a lot of empty stalls-maybe because of the weather.  I snapped just a few pictures-it was too cold to take many.

Olive Stand
Unfortunately, there were no eggs.  They probably would have frozen if they had been there.  But I did find the pigs feet, right next to the whole chickens.  And are those pigs ears to the right of the feet?  I didn't see people buying them.  I couldn't figure out what Parisian women would do with pigs feet and ears. 

Pigs Feet and Ears
I bought some Clementines from Tunisia that turned out to be very sweet and juicy.  I also found some warm wool scarves that were embroidered on part of the pattern.  I wore my new scarf today and it was very warm.

My New Wool Scarf

I didn't buy the pigs feet, however.  This was the view as I headed back to the apartment.  As you can see the sky is clear and blue.  We are kind of longing for the clouds and the rain again-at least it was 20 degrees warmer then.


One of these days I'm going to get those fresh eggs.  The arctic weather should end later next week.  And it won't be soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment